Walking up the paupers' path towards The Workhouse it is easy to imagine how the Victorian poor might have felt as they sought refuge here. This austere building, the most complete workhouse in existence, was built in 1824 as a place of last resort for the destitute. Its architecture was influenced by prison design and its harsh regime became a blueprint for workhouses throughout the country. This rural workhouse was designed to house around 160 inmates. They lived and worked in a strictly segregated environment with virtually no contact between the old and infirm, able-bodied men and women and children. The stories of those who lived and worked here in the 1840s help bring the building to life and prompt reflection on how society has tackled poverty through the centuries.
The Workhouse, also known as Greet House was the prototype of the 19th-century workhouse, and was cited by the Royal Commission on the poor law as the best example among the existing workhouses, before the resulting New Poor Law of 1834 led to the construction of workhouses across the country. It was designed by William Adams Nicholson an architect of Southwell and Lincoln, together with the Revd. John T. Becher, a pioneer of workhouse and prison reform. Separate mobility parking spaces - please follow signs for 'Staff Car Park' located at the back of the building. Adapted toilet in the car park facilities building and at The Workhouse. Drop-off point at rear of the building. There are subtitles on the introductory video for the hard of hearing. Braille and large print guide available. Virtual tour available for cellars and upper floors. The building has a ramped entrance. The Grounds are partly accessible, loose gravel paths. Accessible route. Five wheelchairs available for loan (Not suitable for motorised wheelchairs). Ground floor accessible via ramps. Stairs to other floors. Manual wheelchairs available on other floors
Location : Upton Road, Southwell, Nottinghamshire, NG25 0PT
Transport: Newark Castle (National Rail) then bus. Bus Routes : 29 and 227 stop outside.
Opening Times : Daily (Closed Tuesdays) 12:00 to 17:00
Tickets : Adults £8.00; Children £4.00
Tel: 01636 817260