Wichenford Dovecote is a charming 17th-century half-timbered dovecote at Wichenford Court. The building, although small, is very striking.. If you're visiting the dovecote make the most of your day by visiting nearby Hanbury Hall or Hawford Dovecote.A church or chapel has existed at Wichenford from early times with mention of a chapel in Wichenford, which was attached to the church of St. Helen, Worcester around 1234. Parts of the present church of St. Lawrence date from about 1320. Until the mid-1990s Wichenford had both a village shop with Post Office and a village bakery, both now closed down. The two shops were situated at opposite sides of the village green, in the centre of the village. Wichenford also has a pub, the Mason's Arms, which is situated on the road to Martley and is not near the village centre.
A dovecote or dovecot or doocot is a structure intended to house pigeons or doves. Dovecotes may be free-standing structures in a variety of shapes, or built into the end of a house or barn. They generally contain pigeonholes for the birds to nest. Pigeons and doves were an important food source historically in Western Europe and were kept for their eggs, flesh, and dung.
The Romans may have introduced dovecotes or columbaria to Britain since pigeon holes have been found in Roman ruins at Caerwent. However, it is believed that doves were not commonly kept there until after the Norman invasion. The earliest known examples of dove-keeping occur in Norman castles of the 12th century (for example, at Rochester Castle, Kent, where nest-holes can be seen in the keep), and documentary references also begin in the 12th century. The earliest surviving, definitely dated free-standing dovecote in England was built in 1326 at Garway in Herefordshire. The Welsh name colomendy has itself become a place name (similarly in Cornwall:colomen + ty = dove house). One Medieval Dovecote still remains standing at Potters Marston in Leicestershire, a hamlet near to the village of Stoney Stanton. Although works have been carried out to restore this Dovecote, it still stands on the site of Potters Marston Hall.
** – Facilities – **
Location : Wichenford Dovecote, Venn Lane, Wichenford, Worcestershire, WR6 6XY
Transport: Worcester Foregate Street (National Rail) then bus (Bus Station). Bus routes: 308, 309 or 310 to Wichenford then 0.6 miles down Venn Lane.
Opening Times: Dawn till dusk.
Tel: 01527 821214