Although there was a house on the site when the Domesday Survey of 1086 was conducted, Cannon Hall picked up its current name from the 13th-century inhabitant Gilbert Canun. By the late 14th century Cannon Hall was in the ownership of the Bosville family of Ardsley, now a suburb in south-east of Barnsley. It was during this period that the most violent event in Cannon Hall's history took place. The Bosvilles had let the Hall out to a family, the daughter of whom was romantically involved with a man named Lockwood. Lockwood had been involved in the murder of Sir John Elland, the High Sheriff of Yorkshire. The tenant, afraid of the position in which he could find himself accommodating a fugitive, sent word to Bosville. Bosville's men arrived at Cannon Hall, where the fugitive was slain in a cruel and violent manner. Cannon Hall's history settled down after this notably unpleasant episode. In 1660 the estate was purchased by John Spencer, a Welsh hay-rake maker. The Spencer family had arrived in Yorkshire from Montgomeryshire, a safer place than Wales for those with Royalist sympathies such as those of the Spencers (John Spencer even managed to get a pardon from Charles II himself when John was held in York prison on manslaughter charges). The Spencer family quickly became active in the local iron and coal industry, eventually building up a huge empire and funding the rebuilding of Cannon Hall.
The core of the present Cannon Hall was built at the opening of the 18th century for John Spencer, possibly by John Etty of York, more surely with interior joinery by William Thornton, another well-known local craftsman. It was enlarged with the addition of wings in 1764–67 by the premier mid-Georgian architect working in Yorkshire, John Carr. Subsequently the wings were heightened, giving the rather high-blocked mass seen today. The last member of the family, Elizabeth, sold the house to Barnsley Council in 1951. Cannon Hall Museum opened to the public in 1957. The surrounding parkland was landscaped in the 18th century by Richard Woods of Chertsey, and features acres of parkland, lakes, waterfalls, follies and vistas. The Victorian pleasure grounds are located close to the Georgian walled garden, which houses an impressive collection of pear trees, among other plants. The Hall has a programme of events, including the annual Regency Ball, a Christmas Fair each December and guided tours, workshops and children's activities throughout the year. Most recently, they have established a florist, plant and gift shop in the old potting shed outbuilding next to the walled garden.
Cannon Hall Museum is home to an astounding mix of paintings, metalwork, ceramics, modern glassware and furniture collections displayed in exhibition galleries throughout the Halls’ historic rooms. Of particular note is the Moorcroft collection, the finest collection of Moorcroft Pottery in a public museum. The majority of this collection was purchased in the mid 1980’s and since then the company has donated a large number of items to the collection, ensuring that the examples of design and form are kept up-to-date. Guided tours may be booked. Cannon Hall Museum houses the Regimental Museum of the 13th/18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary’s Own) and the Light Dragoons. This museum is of great interest to those who study military history. It includes displays on the part the Regiment played in famous battles including the Charge of the Light Brigade. There is wheelchair access to the majority of the site including a lift to the upper floors. Exhibits can be audio described. Touch tours are available. There is a wheelchair to borrow. There are accessible toilets within this venue designated for public use. The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people. Assistance dogs are welcome. Documents can be requested in Braille. Documents can be requested in large print.
Location : Bark House Lane, Cawthorne , Barnsley S75 4AT
Transport: Barnsley (National Rail) then bus. Bus Routes : Stagecoach Yorkshire 92 stops outside.
Opening Times : Tuesday to Friday 10:00 to 16:00. Weekends 11:00 to 16:00
Opening Times Park and Gardens: Dawn till Dusk, daily.
Tickets House: Free.
Tel: 01226 790270