AUDIO

Platforms + footbridge

Platforms + footbridge

Birkenhead North Frontage

Birkenhead North Frontage

 

The station was built by the Wirral Railway, replacing their earlier terminus at Wallasey Bridge Road (a short distance away) which had opened in 1866. The station was originally known as Birkenhead Docks and opened on 2 January 1888 as through station with Birkenhead Park station becoming the new terminus. The station had three through platforms from prior to 1898, which it still retains to the present day. However, the outer face of the north side island platform sees little use apart from trains to and from Birkenhead North depot at the start and end of service. The Wirral Railway subsequently became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway, who renamed the station Birkenhead North in 1926. The line through Birkenhead North was electrified, using a 650v DC third rail system, and brought into passenger service on 14 March 1938, allowing through services from New Brighton to Liverpool Central via the Mersey Railway Tunnel. Services used the new LMS trains and the former Mersey Railway electric units. The Mersey Railway electric units operated through the station until 1957.

 

Birkenhead North has full disabled access. All platforms can be accessed via lift. There is an induction loop, help points and lost property. The station has a booking office, and on-street parking, which has been upgraded and replaced with a Park and Ride facility, linked directly to the platform. The station is staffed, at all times during opening hours, and has platform CCTV. Each platform has open-air seating and live departure and arrival screens, for passenger information. There is a payphone available. The station provides a Park and Ride service. There are 630 car parking spaces which are free to use for travellers, with lighting columns and CCTV to meet Merseytravel's Travelsafe requirements. There is secure cycle storage for 12 cycles. In 2016 charging posts were added to the car park for the recharging of electric vehicles. As of 4 June 2014, there is step-free access to the platforms for passengers with wheelchairs or prams. Trains operate every 15 minutes (Monday to Saturday daytime) to New Brighton and West Kirby and every 5–10 minutes via Hamilton Square to Liverpool. At other times, trains run every 30 minutes to New Brighton and West Kirby, and every 15 minutes to Liverpool. Bus Connection Timetable.

 

Local Taxis 0151 201 1111, 0151 201 0001

Connections: 10 (Noctorum/Arrowe Park Hospital to New Brighton), 10A (Woodchurch/Arrowe Park Hospital to New Brighton).