The original Brunswick station was opened on 1 June 1864 by the Garston and Liverpool Railway, on Sefton Street, Liverpool's southern section of the Dock Road. It was the Liverpool terminus of a new Garston and Liverpool Railway line to Liverpool. The terminus was inconveniently outside of the city centre and after only ten years it closed on 1 March 1874 when the line was diverted and extended, mainly by tunnel, to Liverpool Central High Level railway station. A large impressive goods terminal building remained on the station site, providing a connection to the Mersey Docks Railway, giving trains direct access to the quayside at the docks. The goods terminal building was closed in the 1970s. The original passenger station building was still standing until demolition. The mouth of the former Liverpool Overhead Railway tunnel which led to Dingle can be seen just south of the station. The present passenger station opened in 1998, on a site close to the original station but on the through route to Merseyrail's Liverpool Central underground station. The industrial former dock buildings are served on the river side, and a small housing estate at a higher point on the other.
Brunswick railway station serves the Toxteth district of Liverpool, England, on the Northern Line of the Merseyrail network. The station serves the nearby district of Dingle and is situated on a short section of track between two tunnels, between the now in-filled Toxteth and Harrington Docks. The station also serves businesses on the Brunswick Dock estate. The residential area of Grafton Street is reached by steps or ramp from the southbound platform. The typical Monday to Saturday service at the station is 4 trains per hour northbound to Southport via Liverpool Central and 4 trains per hour southbound to Hunts Cross. On Sundays there are 2 trains per hour in each direction.
Brunswick station is fully accessible. There is an induction loop, help point, and lost property. The two platforms form a single island, overlooking the River Mersey on one side, and the former industrial area of Commercial Road on the other. The station has a 35-space car park, free of charge. The Liverpool-bound platform has a ticket office and a shelter with seats. A bridge leads over to the Hunts Cross-bound platform which has another shelter. A ramp and stairs lead upwards to the Eastern entrance. There is a cycle rack for 8 cycles and secure cycle storage for 10 cycles. Bus Connection Timetable.
Local Taxis: 0151 728 8888
Connections: 82A (City Centre to Halton Hospital), C4 (Liverpool City Centre), C5 (Dingle Mount)