The station opened on 3 July 1933 with access from both sides of the railway via a footbridge to the single island platform serving only the Euston-Watford DC line; this footbridge (which started at the bottom of the embankment) was later replaced by a pedestrian tunnel, cutting out a long climb for passengers entering the station. The station was built in a more modern "concrete and glass" style construction including a "streamlined" waiting room rather than the brick and woodwork LNWR stations elsewhere on the DC line.
The station is an island platform and Bakerloo line train doors are not level with it. Therefore, there is a downward step to the train from the platform. The ticket office is at platform level and occupies the north end of the streamlined 1933 building. It is one of the very few stations served by London Underground which has no ticket gates and due to the restrictive layout here there are no plans for these to be installed in the immediate future. ATTENTION: There is no wheelchair access. The station has help points and a bridge.
Connections: London Overground. London Buses route 223 serve the station.