The station was first opened on 24 September 1900 by the Central London Railway, three months after the first stations on the Central line opened. The surface building was designed, in common with all original CLR stations, by the architect Harry Bell Measures. The original plans for the railway included a station at Davies Street rather than Bond Street. In 1909, Harry Selfridge proposed a subway link to his new Selfridges store to the west, and the renaming of the station as "Selfridges". Contemporary opposition quashed the idea. During the 19th century, Bond Street became less known for its social atmosphere and increased its reputation as a street for luxury shopping. The auctioneer Phillips was established in 1796 at No. 101 Bond Street, specialising in stringed instruments and sheet music. The jewellers Asprey originally opened in 1830 at Nos. 165–169 New Bond Street. The Jewish practice of Kabbalah has been associated with the street after former East End trader Sarah Levenson opened a shop on No. 50 New Bond Street in 1856 and immediately became profitable, albeit through exaggerated and questionable product claims. Levenson was twice taken to court and prosecuted for fraud, each resulting in a five-year prison sentence. She died mid-way through the second
Note that the entrance is actually west of New Bond Street in the West One shopping centre. Crossrail line 1 will call at Bond Street. Services are due to commence in 2018. The station will be reconstructed to accommodate the extra platforms and increased pedestrian traffic. This will include a new street level entrance on the north side of Oxford Street. The station is to become one of many newly made "step free" stations. This means that there will be lifts to provide a step free way to access the platforms. In the meantime the station has escalators, cash machines, Euro cash machines and payphones.
Connections: Jubilee Line. London Buses routes 2, 6, 7, 10, 13, 23, 30, 73, 74, 82, 94, 98, 137, 139, 159, 189, 274 and 390 and night routes N2, N7, N13, N73, N98 and N207 serve the station.