Grange Hill W

Grange Hill Women

Grange Hill Entrance

Grange Hill Entrance

Grange Hill Men

Grange Hill Men

 

The station was opened by the Great Eastern Railway on 1 May 1903 on their Fairlop Loop line between Woodford and Ilford. The station ticket office was reconstructed as part of this work following destruction of the original building by a German V1 'Doodlebug' in July 1944. The 1903 building was very similar to the next station to the north, Chigwell, which is still largely untouched to this day, and the original building further south at Newbury Park, demolished in 1956 to make way for a road improvement. Grange Hill is the area around the junction of Manor Road and Fencepiece Road/Hainault Road, extending as far as the boundary with Redbridge including the Limes Farm estate.

 

At the beginning of the morning and evening peak periods, some trains starting from Hainault depot enter service at Grange Hill and work to central London via Woodford, although in the current timetable, only one train returns to Hainault depot via Grange Hill, the majority doing so instead via Newbury Park and Hainault. Since 5 February 2006 this has been one of the small number of stations on the network to have no staffed ticket office. However, staff are available 24 hours a day for customer information and the train service has been extended to midnight to take into account the rising passenger numbers. The station has toilets, payphones and a waiting room.

 

Connections: London Buses routes 362; 462 and Local School route 43 serve the station