Construction originally began in the 1930s but was suspended during the Second World War. During the war, the station was used as an air raid shelter and the tunnels as a munitions factory for Plessey electronics. The station was finally completed and opened on 14 December 1947. During planning, the names "Ilford North" and "Cranbrook" were considered. The name could have originated from the le Gant family, who were stewards of Barking Abbey. The name Gantesgrave appears in records as early as 1291. Alternatively, the name may be derived from 'Gnats Cross' in reference to the insects.
The station, like many others on the same branch, was designed by notable Tube architect Charles Holden; during the planning period London Underground Holden advised on the construction of the new Moscow Metro, which is why the barrel-vaulted halls of Gants Hill echo many stations on the Russian capital's system. There are three escalators from the ticket office to the platforms. The station has no surface buildings due to its location under Gants Hill roundabout. Be warned that the signage on the radiating subways is very poor, we are in consultation with the TFL about improvements. The station has wi-fi, payphones and escalators.
Connections: London Buses routes 66, 128, 150, 167,396, 462 and 667 serve the station with the N* providing 24 hour service and an East London Transit connection.