Lancaster Gate station was opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway (now the Central line). The original station building was typical of the work of the line's original architect Harry Bell Measures. It was demolished and a new surface building constructed as part of the development above in 1968. The development was designed by T P Bennett & Son as an office block but converted soon after into a hotel. In 2004-05 the lower floors of the hotel were re-clad in white stone. Lancaster Gate is a mid-19th century development in the Bayswater district immediately to the north of Kensington Gardens. It consists of two long terraces of houses overlooking the park, with a wide gap between them opening onto a square containing a church. Further terraces back onto the pair overlooking the park and loop around the square. Until 1865 the terraces were known as Upper Hyde Park Gardens, with the name Lancaster Gate limited to the square surrounding the church. The development takes its name from Lancaster Gate, a nearby entrance to Kensington Gardens, itself named in honour of Queen Victoria as Duke of Lancaster. The terraces are stuccoed and are in an eclectic classical style featuring English Baroque details and French touches.
Passenger numbers have increased over the years and as a result the station's small ticket hall area is often severely congested, especially at the weekends due to the numerous hotels in the area. Despite its name, the station is close to the Marlborough Gate entrance to Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens, about 300m to the east of the Lancaster Gate entrance. The station is within walking distance of Paddington station, providing a convenient interchange between the Central line and the mainline station, although this is not highlighted on the Underground map. The station has lifts and wi-fi.
Connections: London Buses routes 46, 274, 94, 148 and 390 and night route N207 serve the station.