The station was opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway (CLR). Like all the original stations on the CLR, Marble Arch was served by lifts to the platforms but the station was reconstructed in the early 1930s to accommodate escalators. This saw the closure of the original station building, designed by the architect Harry Bell Measures, that was situated on the corner of Quebec Street and Oxford Street, and a replacement sub-surface ticket hall opened further to the west. The new arrangements came into use on 15 August 1932. The original surface building was later demolished. The platforms, originally lined in plain white tiles, were refitted with decorative vitreous enamel panels in 1985.
The station is named after the Marble Arch nearby and is located at the north east side of the Marble Arch junction, at the western end of Oxford Street. The structure (the Marble Arch) was designed by John Nash in 1827 to be the state entrance to the cour d'honneur of Buckingham Palace; it stood near the site of what is today the three bayed, central projection of the palace containing the well known balcony. In 1851 it was relocated and following the widening of Park Lane in the early 1960s is now sited, isolated and incongruously, on a large traffic island at the junction of Oxford Street, Park Lane, and Edgware Road. Historically, only members of the Royal Family and the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery are permitted to pass through the arch; this happens only in ceremonial processionsThere is a shunting neck to the west of the station allowing trains from Oxford Circus to terminate here. The station was modernised (2010) resulting in new finishes in all areas of the station, apart from the retention of various of the decorative enamel panels at platform level. The station has cash machines, Euro cash machines, payphones, escalators and wi-fi.
Connections: London Buses routes 2, 10, 16, 30, 36, 73, 74, 82, 94, 98, 113, 137, 148, 159, 274, 390, 414 and 436 serve the station.