The station was opened in 1902 by the Whitechapel & Bow Railway. Electrified services started in 1905. Services were provided by the District line with the Hammersmith & City line (then the Metropolitan line) following in 1936. In 1946 the station was expanded and rebuilt as part of the Central line eastern extension with services starting on 4 December 1946. The station passed to London Underground in 1950. The station takes its name from the A11 Mile End Road, which itself is named after a milestone signifying the point one mile (1.6 km) east of the boundary of the City of London. However, the stone's position was actually closer to Stepney Green than Mile End station itself, which is further east, on the junction with Burdett Road. Whilst there are many references to settlements in the area, excavations have suggested there were very few buildings before 1300. Mile End Road is an ancient route from London to the East, and was moved to its present-day alignment after the foundation of Bow Bridge in 1110. In the medieval period it was known as ‘Aldgatestrete’, as it led to the eastern entrance to the City of London at Aldgate. The area running alongside Mile End Road was known as Mile End Green, and became known as a place of assembly for Londoners, reflected in the name of Assembly Passage.
Mile End is the only subterranean station on the network that offers cross-platform interchange between 'tube' (Central line) and 'sub-surface' (District and Hammersmith & City line) trains. Note that the Central Line trains run on the outer tracks and District on the centre tracks. To change direction use the crossover. Mile End Station: Ticket hall improvements will start to take place from August 2015, when the ticket office in this station closes. Work will last for up to 12 weeks as TfL install additional ticket machines. The station has wi-fi, payphones and a waiting room.
Connections: District Line, Hammersmith and City Lines. London Buses routes 25; 205; 277; 323; 339; 425; D6; D7 and night route N205; and National Express Coaches route A9 serve the station.