The settlement of Northolt is mentioned in the Domesday Book as being held by Geoffrey de Mandeville, and archaeological evidence suggests that there was a Saxon village at the location from the 8th century onwards. Up to late Victorian times, the area was rural with predominantly arable crops being grown. The fourteenth century Northolt Manor existed behind the present Court Farm Road and was excavated from 1950 onwards. A barn constructed in the area in 1595 can now be seen in the Chiltern Open Air Museum. In the early part of the 18th century farmland was enclosed in order to provide hay for the City of London, alongside more traditional crops such as peas and beans. The population in 1801 was 336. The Great Western Railway constructed a halt at this location named Northolt Halt in 1907, which was on what was the New North Main Line to Birmingham. It was renamed Northolt (for West End) Halt, before gaining station status under its original shorter name. It was closed in 1948 when the Central line was extended on a new pair of tracks from North Acton, the current Northolt tube station opening on 21 November 1948. The opening had been planned to be in the 1930s but was delayed by World War II.
The station has an island platform with passenger access down from the booking hall. Trains terminating at the station may use either a turnback siding west of the platforms to leave the running lines and run eastwards later or a crossover east of the station for more immediate return to central London. North of the Central line tracks there is the singled track of the former GWR New North Main Line from Paddington which now is used by freight trains and a single daily passenger service (operated by Chiltern Railways) between Paddington and Gerrards Cross. There are no longer any platforms on this line. The station has payphones and toilets.
Connections: London bus routes 90, 120, 140, 282, 395, E10 and night route N7.