The tracks through the station were laid by part of the Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway with services starting on 2 April 1906 although there was no station at Ruislip Gardens at that time. The station opened on 9 July 1934. As part of the 1935-40 New Works Programme, Central line services were projected westwards from a new junction, west of North Acton on the line to Ealing Broadway. The original intention was to extend the service as far as Denham, but work was delayed by World War II and the formation of the Metropolitan Green Belt after the war and so the terminus of the extension was cut back to West Ruislip, with services starting on 21 November 1948. The main line services stopping at Ruislip Gardens ceased in 1958 and the station closed, leaving only the Central line services in place.
Ruislip appears in the Domesday Book as Rislepe, thought to mean 'leaping place on the river where rushes grow', in reference to the River Pinn. It is formed from the Old English 'rysc' and 'hlyp'. Translated from Latin, an entry reads: M. Arnulf [Ernulf] of Hesdin holds Rislepe [Ruislip]. It is assessed for 30 hides.[a] Land for 20 ploughs. In lordship 11 hides; 3 ploughs there. There are 12 ploughs between the Frenchmen and the villagers; a further 5 possible. A priest, ½ hide; 2 villagers with 1 hide; 17 villagers, 1 virgate each; 10 villagers, ½ virgate each; 7 smallholders, 4 acres each; 8 cottagers; 4 slaves; 4 Frenchmen with 3 hides and 1 virgate. Pasture for the village livestock; a park for woodland beasts; woodland, 1500 pigs, and 20d too. Total value £20; when acquired £12; before 1066 £30. Wulfward Wight, a thane of King Edward's, held this manor; he could sell it to whom he would. Under Edward the Confessor, Ruislip had been valued at £30, though the reduction to £12 by the time Ernulf de Hesdin took possession is believed to have been caused by a passing unit of the Norman Army taking crops. This led to the construction of buildings at Manor Farm to protect produce
The station has an island platform layout. Some services start or terminate here rather than West Ruislip, the trains leaving or entering the Central line depot to the west of the station, south of the running lines. There is a link from the Central line depot for stock movement to the Metropolitan line just to the west of Ruislip via a shunting neck. The station has cash machines, Euro cash machines, help points, payphones, toilets, a waiting room and car park
Connections: London Buses routes E7 and school route 696 serve the station.