The name Shepherds Bush is thought to have originated from the use of the common land here as a resting point for shepherds on their way to Smithfield Market in the City of London. An alternative theory is that it could have been named after someone in the area, because in 1635 the area was recorded as "Sheppards Bush Green". A map of London dated 1841 shows Shepherd's Bush to be largely undeveloped and chiefly rural in character, with much open farmland compared to fast-developing Hammersmith. Residential development began in earnest in the late 19th century, as London's population expanded relentlessly. The station opened on 30 July 1900 and was the original western terminus of the Central London Railway (CLR). The original surface-level station building was a terracotta-clad ticket hall with its entrance on the Uxbridge Road facing Shepherd's Bush Green. An extension to Richmond planned in 1920 would have started here with the next stop at the closed London and South Western Railway station at Hammersmith (Grove Road); the work was never carried out.
The entire station was reconstucted in 2008. The Central line station shares its name with the adjacent London Overground Shepherd's Bush station, with which it shares a surface-level interchange. An entirely separate London Underground station, Shepherd's Bush Market on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines is located approximately 0.3 miles (500 m) away. Until 2008, it too was called Shepherd's Bush until it was renamed to avoid confusion. The station has payphones, wi-fi, help points and escalators. The lifts and boarding ramps listed on the TfL website serve the London Overground interchange so that the Central Line is inaccessible to the wheelchair bound.
Connections: London Overground and National Rail. London Buses routes 31, 49, 72, 94, 95, 148, 207, 220, 228, 237, 260, 272, 283, 295, 316, 607 and C1 and night route N207 serve the station and bus station.