The present station is situated on Beadon Road and opened on 1 December 1868, replacing the original station slightly north of here which opened on 13 June 1864 when the line extension was built from Paddington. The Metropolitan Railway operated a service from Hammersmith to Richmond from 1877 over the lines of the London and South Western Railway from a junction just north of this station via an adjacent station at Hammersmith (Grove Road) and a viaduct connection to Ravenscourt Park. Part of this viaduct is still visible from Piccadilly and District line trains west of the Piccadilly and District line station. The extension closed on 31 December 1906 shortly after the introduction of electric trains on the line. In the early 1660s, Hammersmith's first parish church, which later became St Paul’s, was built by Sir Nicholas Crispe who ran the brickworks in Hammersmith. It contained a monument to Crispe as well as a bronze bust of King Charles I by Hubert Le Sueur.
In 1745, two Scots, James Lee and Lewis Kennedy, established the Vineyard Nursery, over six acres devoted to landscaping plants. During the next hundred and fifty years the nursery introduced many new plants to England, including fuchsia and the standard rose tree. There was also Hammersmith Grove Road, a third station that used to exist adjacent to the Hammersmith and City Line station on the L&SWR line through Shepherd's Bush to the West London Line. The station is in Travelcard Zone 2 and is a short walk from the station of the same name on the Piccadilly and District lines. The two stations are separated by Hammersmith Broadway. They are about 60 m (200 ft) apart door to door, although the positions of the pedestrian crossings on the Broadway makes it seem much longer on foot. There is interchange between the different lines. The station has cash machines, Euro cash machines, wi-fi, lifts, a waiting room and payphones.
Connections: Hammersmith & City, Piccadilly, District. London Buses routes 9, 10, 27, 33, 72, 190, 209, 211, 220, 266, 267, 283, 295, 391, 419, 485, H91 and night route N9, N11 and N97 serve the station and the nearby bus station.