The station opened on 16 December 1868 at a junction formed between two existing railway lines – the Hammersmith & City Railway (owned by the Great Western Railway and running between Westbourne Park and Hammersmith stations) and the West London Railway (WLR) (between Willesden Junction and Addison Road (now Kensington (Olympia) stations). Services to Addison Road were originally provided via the junction to the WLR tracks but these were discontinued in 1940 and the junction no longer exists. The line between Latimer Road and Uxbridge Road was then closed and the raised train track demolished. The remains of that stretch of track can be seen from the west end of the eastbound platform, which now houses a secure Relay Room. Unusually, Latimer Road and the station that bears its name are not geographically close, being approximately 500 metres apart and on opposite sides of the Westway Flyover (A40 road).
In July 2010 the westbound platform 2 was closed to begin refurbishment and extension work, in preparation for the new S Stock. When the wall for the westbound platform was removed, contractors discovered an old bricked-up entrance to the station public house, currently known as The Garden. They also found underneath the platform a very old and possibly Mahogany staircase leading up to the pub entrance. Apart from all the years of dust and grime they also found, amongst other things, a bath, old gun parts and even a vat of acid. The station currently benefits from 1 ticket office and 2 Passenger Operated Machines (or POM's). The larger POM, called a Multi Fare Machine (MFM) accepts UK Sterling notes, up to the value of £20 and gives change consisting of 10p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins. The smaller machine known as an Advance Fare Machine (AFM) does not give change and accepts overpayment up to 30p. There are currently 5 Customer Help Points on the station, 1 in the Ticket hall at ground level and 2 on each platform. The station has payphones, help points and a waiting room, and steps.
Connections: Hammersmith + City Line. London Bus routes 295 and 316 serve the station.