The Temple station was opened in the parish of St. Clement Danes on 30 May 1870 by the District Railway (DR; now the District line) when the company extended its line from Westminster to St. Paul's station (now called Blackfriars). The construction of the new section of the DR was planned in conjunction with the building of the Victoria Embankment and was achieved by the cut and cover method of roofing over a shallow trench. The DR connected to the Metropolitan Railway (MR; now the Metropolitan line) at South Kensington and, although the two companies were rivals, each company operated its trains over the other's tracks in a joint service known as the "Inner Circle". In 1949, the Metropolitan line-operated Inner Circle route was given its own identity on the Tube map as the Circle line.
The name derives from the proximity to the Middle Temple, the complex of law courts founded by the Knights Templar (the guardians of the Temple). It is also close to Somerset House, a major arts and cultural centre. Access to the station is via steps as there are no escalators or lifts. There are wi-fi and payphones available at this station.
Connections: District Line. London Buses night routes N550 and N551 serve the station.