Chadwell Heath Platform

Chadwell Heath Platform

Chadwell Heath Entrance

Chadwell Heath Entrance

Chadwell Heath Platform

Chadwell Heath Platform

 

Chadwell Heath station was opened on 11 January 1864, and is built on the site of Wangey House, one of Dagenham's oldest buildings dating back to 1250. Wangey House was partly demolished when the Eastern Counties Railway built the line in the 1830s; the last surviving portion was demolished when the Great Eastern Railway widened the line in 1901. It was the 'end of the line' for both the London tram system and later the electric trolley bus service from Aldgate. The trolley buses turned around at Station Road and Wangey Road. The name 'Chadwell' is first recorded in 1254 as Chaudewell and means 'the cold spring'. The name was first applied to a settlement on the Barking side of the ancient Barking/Dagenham boundary and it was also known as Chadwell Street; 'Street' having the older meaning of a hamlet. In the 17th century the Blackheath Common in Dagenham parish was renamed Chadwell Heath. As the settlements merged the Chadwell Street name was lost in favour of Chadwell Heath.

 

Train services call at Chadwell Heath as part of the Shenfield-Liverpool Street stopping "metro" service. From 2019, the station will be fully served by Crossrail, linking Chadwell Heath to additional stations in central London as well as Reading and London Heathrow Airport. TfL Rail, the precursor of Crossrail, took over the running of the Shenfield "metro" in May 2015. It is in Travelcard Zone 5. Eastbound (Liverpool St.) TfL Rail trains stop on platform 3 and Westbound (Shenfield) stop on platform 4. The station has payphones, wi-fi, cash machines, help points, boarding ramps and waiting room, but no toilets.

 

Connections: National Rail. London Buses routes 62, 86, 173, 362, 368 and night route N86 serve the station.