The station was opened in 1873 by the Great Eastern Railway. Round the corner from Manor Park railway station lies the Durham Road Conservation Zone, which is a small late-Victorian suburb. It was designated a Conservation Area in 1984 to retain its original charm and character. Additional planning controls were introduced in 1998 to protect and enhance its special character. The area, popularly referred to as Manor Park Village, was originally developed in the 1880s on farmland that formed part of the Gurney estate. It was built by one builder to an overall plan, with a limited range of house styles giving the area a distinctive character and unity. The developers, the Corbett family, built several suburban estates including the adjacent Woodgrange Estate in Forest Gate.
The Earl of Essex is a Grade II listed public house at 616 Romford Road. Manor Park's Itchycoo Park (officially Little Ilford Park) was made famous in a song by the Small Faces, whose lead singer Steve Marriott lived in the area. It is currently managed by TfL Rail. Train services call at Manor Park as part of the Shenfield-Liverpool Street stopping "metro" service. From 2019, the station will be fully served by Crossrail, linking Manor Park to additional stations in central London as well as Reading and London Heathrow Airport. Manor Park is a short walk from Woodgrange Park on the Gospel Oak to Barking line, and an interchange is available one stop to the west, at Forest Gate, for Wanstead Park. It is in Travelcard Zone 3/4. TfL Rail trains stop on platform 3 for Eastbound (Liverpool Street) and Westbound (Shenfield) stop on platform 4.The station has wi-fi, help points, cash machines, and no toilets.
Connections: London Buses routes 101, 104, 474 and W19 serve the station.