Shenfield station was opened by the Eastern Counties Railway company on 29 March 1843 on the extension from Brentwood to Colchester. As it was situated in a rural area, patronage was low, so it was closed in March 1850. It reopened with the name Shenfield & Hutton Junction on 1 January 1887 under the Great Eastern Railway to serve as an interchange station with the new line to Southend that was completed two years later. There were three platforms, two up (London-bound) and one down (country-bound). Under the London and North Eastern Railway, two extra tracks for terminating local (suburban "metro") trains opened in 1934, resulting in the current five platforms. The name Shenfield originates from the Anglo-Saxon Chenefield, meaning 'good lands'. The old village (now town), by the church and Green Dragon pub, lies along the original Roman road (now the A1023) which linked London and Colchester.
The train service was provided by Greater Anglia until May 2015. To the east of the station, the lines for Southend diverge with the down line passing under the main line towards Norwich. West of Shenfield there are five tracks, but to the east these split, two towards Colchester and two towards Southend Victoria. Oyster card readers were installed for pay-as-you-go journeys in 2013. Today, Shenfield is served by fast trains on the main line towards London and it is also the eastern terminus of the stopping "metro" service from Liverpool Street. From 2019, Shenfield will additionally form the eastern terminus of Crossrail, although the precursor company TfL Rail took over the existng "metro" service in May 2015.. The station has payphones, wi-fi, boarding ramps, cash machines, toilets, help points, a car park and waiting room.
Connections: First Essex routes 81/82, 83 and 351 serve the station on Mondays to Fridays. In addition, school routes 502 and 620 run on schooldays.