Seven Kings station was opened on 1 March 1899. Before the London Underground's Central line was extended from Stratford via Gants Hill to Newbury Park in 1947, Seven Kings was one of two junctions for the Fairlop Loop to Woodford via Hainault. Seven Kings West Junction (used for freight, excursion and empty stock traffic) was closed in 1956, though the other connection, from Ilford, was severed as early as 1947 due to the expansion of Ilford sheds, which is easily visible from the western end of Seven Kings station. The carriage sheds comprise a large depot which includes two workshops. The earliest recorded use of the name is as Sevekyngg or Sevekyngges in 1285, meaning 'settlement of the family or followers of a man called Seofoca'. Seven Kings has not historically formed a parish or other division; instead it was part of the ancient parish of Ilford in the Becontree hundred of the county of Essex, which formed from 1894 the Ilford Urban District (later municipal borough).
It is currently managed by TfL Rail. Services call at Seven Kings as part of the Shenfield-Liverpool Street stopping "metro" service. From 2019, the station will be fully served by Crossrail, linking Seven Kings to additional stations in central London as well as Reading and London Heathrow Airport. TfL Rail, the precursor of Crossrail, took over the running of the Shenfield "metro" in May 2015. It is in Travelcard Zone 4. TfL Rail trains stop on platform 3 and Westbound (Shenfield) stop on platform 4. The station has wi-fi, help points, cash machines, payphones and waiting room, but no toilets.
Connections: National Rail. London Buses routes 86 and N86 serve the station.