Gale Street Halt had been opened on the London Tilbury & Southend (LT&S) line in 1926. The London, Midland and Scottish Railway (owners of the LT&S line)(LMS) qaudrupled their line between Barking and Upminster and constructed a common station with their existing line and the new trains of the Metropolitan District Railway. The 1932 station was constructed and initially operated by the LMS with services provided by the District line from the outset. The new District line's platforms opened on 18 July 1932, when it was renamed, and its route from Barking to Upminster had been electrified on 12 September of the same year. The railway here was crossed by a temporary railway constructed as part of the building of the Becontree housing estate which operated between 1921 and 1934
The station has four platforms of which two are used by the District line and another two are disused since the LT&S service was withdrawn in 1962. The single storey brick station buildings are of typical 1930s design which are also constructed at Dagenham East, Hornchurch and Upminster at the time. Three ticket barriers and a gate control access to all platforms. The station is in London fare zone 5
Connections: London Bus routes 62 and 145 serve the station.