Bayswater Entrance

Bayswater Entrance Old

Bayswater Entrance

Bayswater Entrance

Bayswater Platform

Bayswater Platform

 

The station was opened by the steam-operated Metropolitan Railway (MR) (now the Metropolitan line) on 1 October 1868 as Bayswater, as part of the railway's southern extension to South Kensington where it connected to the District Railway (DR). Construction of the railway line, through the already developed Bayswater area required the excavation of a tunnel using the cut and cover method: a trench 42 feet (13 m) deep was excavated between brick retaining walls which was then roofed-over with brick arches to allow building work above. Large compensation payments were made to landowners affected by the excavations and, in Leinster Gardens to the east, the frontages of two houses demolished to make way for the line were reconstructed to restore the appearance of a terrace of houses. The platforms of Bayswater station were constructed in the trench and provided with a glazed roof. A short section of the trench was left unroofed to the west of the station to allow smoke and steam from the trains to escape from the tunnels.

 

It is less than 100 metres (330 ft) away from the Central line's Queensway station. The station is located on the busy Queensway tourist street and is only a short walk from Portobello Market. Further north along the street is Whiteleys shopping centre. Also nearby is Westbourne Grove, Queens ice rink and bowling centre, Kensington Gardens and St Sophia's Greek Orthodox Cathedral. The dummy frontages at 23 and 24 Leinster Gardens remain and feature blank windows and false front doors and small porticos matching the adjacent buildings. The station has wi-fi.

 

Connections: Circle Line. London Bus routes 7, 23, 27, 36 and 70, and night route N7 serve the station. Additionally, bus routes 23, 27 and 36 provide a 24-hour bus service.