The station was opened in 1932. The station was constructed and initially operated by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway with services provided by the District line from the outset. The station was called Heathway when it first opened, changing to its present name in 1949. The area was extensively developed post-war as rehousing for the East-Enders due to the bomb damage of the blitz.
It is of similar design to Upney and Elm Park with the platforms arranged on a central island with a long sloping walkway connection to the ticket hall. The 1930s station buildings were extensively refubished during 2005 and 2006. The station has toilets, a waiting room, payphones and a ticket hall. The station is in London fare zone 5
Connections: London Buses routes 173, 174 and 175 serve the station.