Ealing Common station was opened on 1 July 1879 by the District Railway (DR, now the District line) on its extension from Turnham Green to Ealing Broadway. From 1886 until 1 March 1910 the station was known as Ealing Common and West Acton after which it changed to its current name. On 23 June 1903 the DR opened an extension of the tracks from north of Ealing Common. The extension initially reached as far as Park Royal & Twyford Abbey (closed and replaced by Park Royal in 1931), where the Royal Agricultural Society's Park Royal show grounds had been recently opened, before being opened to South Harrow on 28 June 1903. This new extension was, together with the existing tracks between Ealing Common & Acton Town, the first section of the Underground's surface lines to be electrified and operate electric instead of steam trains. The deep level tube lines open at that time (City & South London Railway, Waterloo & City Railway and Central London Railway) had been electrically powered from the start. Electric trains started running on the section of line between Ealing Common and Ealing Broadway on 1 July 1905.
The station is located on Uxbridge Road (A4020) about 450m east of the junction with Gunnersbury Avenue and Hanger Lane (A406, North Circular Road). It is in Travelcard Zone 3. The two platforms serve all District and Piccadilly line services. There is a shop/kiosk available at times in the station booking hall area. Many trains leaving Ealing Common Depot enter service here. This is usually in the early morning, and in the westbound direction (towards Ealing Broadway Station). There are payphones, waiting rooms and a bridge at the station.
Connections: Picadilly Line. London Buses Routes 207, 427 and 607 and night routes N7 and N207 serve the station.