The station was opened as Walham Green on 1 March 1880 when the District Railway (DR, now the District line) extended its line south from West Brompton to Putney Bridge. The original station building was replaced in 1905 with a new entrance designed by Harry W Ford to accommodate crowds for the newly built Stamford Bridge stadium. It is now a Grade II listed building. The name was changed to its current form on 2 March 1952 after representations from Fulham Chamber of Commerce. In 2003 the street-level station building at the southern end of the platform was closed and a new entrance was opened within the adjacent Fulham Broadway shopping centre. The shopping centre has the motto "Life Begins At Fulham Broadway".
The shopping centre was partly built above what were the previously open-air sections of the platforms and the station facilities were improved to provide full wheelchair accessibility and to again improve the management of football crowds. (The station exit towards the shopping centre is closed on Chelsea F.C. matchdays; fans are directed towards a different exit at the northern end of the station.) It is notable as the nearest station to Stamford Bridge stadium, the home of Chelsea Football Club. The London Oratory School is also nearby. The station has boarding ramps, lifts, payphones, cash machines and a bridge.
Connections: London Buses Routes 11, 14, 28, 211, 295, 391, 414, 424 and Night Routes N11 and N28 serve the station.