Mansion House station was opened on 3 July 1871 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District line) when the company extended its line eastwards from St. Paul's station (which is now named Blackfriars). Mansion House became the new eastern terminus of the MDR. From 1 August 1872, the "Middle Circle" service also began operations through Westminster running from Moorgate along the MR's tracks on the north side of the Inner Circle to Paddington then over the Hammersmith & City Railway (H&CR) track to Latimer Road, then, via a now demolished link, to the West London Line to Addison Road and the MDR to Mansion House. The service was operated jointly by the H&CR and the MDR. From 1 March 1883, the District operated a service between Mansion House and Windsor, using Great Western Railway tracks from a junction installed just east of Ealing Broadway station, but it was unremunerative and ceased on 30 September 1885. In the 1920s Mansion House station's entrance was rebuilt to a design by Charles Holden
Mansion House is a sub-surface station with three platforms. The westbound platform, number 1, and the eastbound platform, number 3, are shared by both the Circle and District lines. A third platform, number 2, is for terminating eastbound trains, however it is rarely used as most services continue and terminate at Tower Hill. The station has wi-fi, help points and a bridge.
Connections: Circle Line. London Buses routes 11, 15, 17, 23, 26, 76, 100, 172, 388 and 521 as well as heritage route 15H and night routes N11, N15, N21, N26, N47, N76, N550 and N551 serve the station.