The station was opened on 1 March 1880 as Putney Bridge & Fulham when the District Railway (DR, now the District line) extended its line south from West Brompton. The station served as the terminus of the line until 1889 when the DR built Fulham Railway Bridge across the River Thames and extended the line south to the London and South Western Railway's (L&SWR's) newly built East Putney station where it connected to the L&SWR's new line to Wimbledon. Services from the station to Wimbledon began on 3 June 1889. The station has an ornate yellow brick façade at the entrance. On 1 January 1902, the station was renamed Putney Bridge & Hurlingham referring to its proximity to Hurlingham Park and the Hurlingham Club. It received its current name in 1932. Despite taking its name from Putney Bridge, the tube station is in fact on the Fulham side of the Thames and is not actually located in Putney.
Putney Bridge is in zone 2. In addition to the Hurlingham club and Hurlingham Park, Fulham Palace, the former home of the Bishops of London is nearby. It now contains a small museum set in Bishop's Park. Fulham Football Club's Craven Cottage stadium is about 1 kilometre to the north-west, and the tube station is often very busy on matchdays. Putney Bridge has a bay platform (platform 2) which could only accommodate C stock trains and is located between the current eastbound and westbound tracks. After the C stock was removed from service in June 2014, the bay platform has ceased to be used. As the westbound track is on a curve, there is a 10 mph speed limit for westbound trains. The resignalling plans for the District line involve converting the current bay platform into the new westbound platform and abandoning the current westbound platform. This would allow the speed restriction to be eliminated. The station has payphones, cash machines, Euro cash machines and a waiting room.
Connections: London Buses Routes 14, 22, 39, 74, 85, 93, 220, 265, 270, 414, 424 and 430 and Night Routes N22 and N74 serve the station.