The line through Stamford Brook station was opened on 1 January 1869 by the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) on a new branch line to Richmond from the West London Joint Railway starting north of Addison Road station (now Kensington (Olympia)). The line ran through Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith via a now closed curve. Initially there were no stations between Grove Road station in Hammersmith (also now closed) and Turnham Green. From its opening, a number of services operated over the route to Richmond in addition to the L&SWR including: District Railway (DR, now the District line) from 1 June 1877; Great Western Railway, briefly in 1870 and from 1894 to 1910 Metropolitan Railway (now the Metropolitan line), from 1877 to 1906. By 1 February 1912 when the station opened, only L&SWR and the DR still operated on the line and on 3 June 1916 the L&SWR withdrew its own service leaving the District Railway as the sole operator. Stamford Brook was the first tube station to have an automatic ticket barrier installed on 5 January 1964.
The main entrance is located on Goldhawk Road (A402) with a secondary entrance on Prebend Gardens. It is in Travelcard Zone 2. The station takes its name from Stamford Brook, a tributary of the River Thames that is now predominantly underground. Originally, the station had an island platform with District line trains serving one side in each direction. However, with the introduction of the Piccadilly line tracks, the eastbound District line track became the westbound Piccadilly line track and a new platform was built for the eastbound District line. This is why there is one island platform and one side platform serving three tracks; the eastbound Piccadilly line track is the only track that is unable to serve the station. The station has payphones, toilets, a waiting room and a bridge.
Connections: London Buses route 237 serves the station.