Turnham Green station was opened on 1 January 1869 by the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) on a new branch line to Richmond built from the West London Joint Railway starting north of Addison Road station (now Kensington (Olympia)). The line ran through Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith via a now unused curve and initially the next station towards central London was Grove Road station in Hammersmith (also now closed). Between 1 June 1870 and 31 October 1870 the Great Western Railway (GWR) briefly ran services from Paddington to Richmond via the Hammersmith & City Railway (now the Hammersmith & City line) tracks to Grove Road then on the L&SWR tracks through Turnham Green. On 1 June 1877, the District Railway (DR, now the District line) opened a short extension from its terminus at Hammersmith to connect to the L&SWR tracks east of Ravenscourt Park station (which had opened in 1873). The DR then began running trains over the L&SWR tracks to Richmond. On 1 October 1877, the Metropolitan Railway (MR, now the Metropolitan line) restarted the GWR's former service to Richmond via Grove Road station.
There is a flower seller located outside Turnham Green station. There are four ticket barriers and a gate that control access to all platforms. The station is in both Travelcard Zone 2 and Zone 3. The station is located on Turnham Green Terrace (B491) on the eastern edge of Chiswick Common, but the actual green is much closer to Chiswick Park station. The station has payphones, help points, a waiting room and a bridge.
Connections: Picadilly Line (early morning and evening only). London Bus routes 27, 94, 190, 237, 267, 272, 391, E3 and H91, and night routes N9 and N11 serve the station. Additionally, bus routes 27 and 94 have a 24-hour service.