Mark Lane station was opened on 6 October 1884 to replace the short-lived Tower of London station, which was closed when the Metropolitan Railway and District Railway were connected to form the Circle line and a larger station was required. Mark Lane shown on part of a 1908 Tube map. Mark Lane was planned to have been named Seething Lane, however the station was ultimately given the former name upon opening. On 1 September 1946 the station was renamed Tower Hill. The station was earmarked for closure due to overwhelming passenger numbers and little space available for expansion. It was closed on 4 February 1967 and the present Tower Hill station was opened as its replacement, located on the same site as the Tower of London station that had closed in 1884. The sub-surface section of Mark Lane station can still be seen between Monument and Tower Hill, though only one platform on the eastbound track now remains due to redevelopment of the track. The surface station, sited in Seething Lane, can be seen in the form of a subway under the road, where large white grilles now cover the original stairways down to the platforms.
One of the oldest parts of London, archaeological evidence shows that there was a settlement on the hill in the Bronze Age and much later a Roman village that was burnt down during the Boudica uprising. A nearby church, All Hallows-by-the-Tower, is known for fragments of Romanesque architecture dating back to AD 680; the church itself dates from 675. The entrance to Tower Hill station is located a few yards from one of the largest remaining segments of the Roman London Wall which formerly surrounded the historic City of London; and of course, next to the iconic Tower of London. The station has cash machines, Euro cash machines, wi-fi and payphones.
Connections: National Rail (Fenchurch St.) and Tower Gateway DLR are nearby. Circle Line. London Buses route 15 and heritage route 15H and night route N15 serve the station.