The station was opened by the District Railway (DR, now the District line) on 3 June 1889 on an extension from Putney Bridge to Wimbledon. The extension was built by the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) which, starting on 1 July 1889, ran its own trains over the line from a connection at East Putney to its Clapham Junction to Barnes line. The section of the District line from Putney Bridge to Wimbledon was the last part of the line to be converted from steam operation to electric. Electric trains began running on 27 August 1905. Mainline services through Wimbledon Park were ended by the Southern Railway (successor to the L&SWR) on 4 May 1941, although the line remained in British Rail ownership until 1 April 1994 when it was transferred to London Underground. Until the transfer, the station was branded as a British Rail station. On 18 June 2012, Surrey cricketer Tom Maynard was hit and killed by a London Underground train while trying to escape from police near Wimbledon Park station.
The station is located on Arthur Road close to the junction with Melrose Avenue close to the eastern side of Wimbledon Park. It is about 200 m west of Durnsford Road (A218) and is in Travelcard Zone 3. Wimbledon Park was a proposed stop on the Chelsea-Hackney Line, now known as Crossrail 2. It was envisioned that the station's District line services would have been replaced by the new line. The station has payphones, wi-fi and a waiting room.
Connections: London Buses route 156 serve the station.