The station is built on the original route of the Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway which opened between Stratford and Canning Town stations in 1846. The line became part of what is now known as the North London Line in 1979. The Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway had four tracks over this section of route. The western pair were redeveloped as part of an extension to the London Underground's Jubilee line in 1999 and the eastern pair, which carried the North London Line service, were cut back at Stratford in 2006. The tracks were converted for use as part of the Docklands Light Railway and the station was constructed with two platforms. It opened on 31 August 2011, over a year late, providing the community new links to the rest of London.
Abbey Road station utilises a simple platform setup with two tracks. At the southern section of each platform are lifts and stairs for access to a skybridge to connect the two platforms. The eastern end of this bridge has a concourse that runs to the northern side of Abbey Road, where passengers can exit the station. The Jubilee line passes through this station but does not have platforms here. The station is nowhere near the other, better-known Abbey Road of Beatles fame, which is located in Westminster, with the celebrated zebra crossing near St. John's Wood tube station. Signs directing travellers to the right station are posted, complete with references to The Beatles' hits. The street that it serves is named after the nearby Stratford Langthorne Abbey.
Connections: No bus routes serve the station.