Poplar (East India Road) was a railway station located on the East India Dock Road in Poplar, London. It was opened in 1850 by the East & West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway, which was later renamed the North London Railway (NLR). From 1865 the station was the southern passenger terminus of the NLR, although goods trains ran on to connect to the London and Blackwall Railway (LBR) for the East India Docks or to the LBR's Millwall Extension Railway for the West India Docks. The station was named Poplar but the LBR also had a station of the same name nearby on Brunswick Street, close to the northern entrance of the Blackwall Tunnel, so the NLR's station was referred to as 'Poplar (East India Road)' to distinguish it. When the LBR's station closed in 1926, the NLR's station became known simply as 'Poplar'. Neither station was on the site of the current Poplar DLR station. Poplar closed permanently in 1944 when World War II bombing cut the NLR east of Dalston Junction. In the 1980s the Docklands Light Railway took over the Poplar-Bow line and All Saints DLR station was built on the site.
The nearby Chrisp Street Market was the first purpose-built pedestrian shopping area in the UK. It forms part of the eastern edge of the Lansbury Estate. It features a prominent clock tower, shops, small retail outlets, cafes, market stalls and apartments. There are 80 market stalls. Serco announced that from 24 August 2009, the frequency on the Stratford to Lewisham branch would be reduced at peak times to one train every seven minutes, from the current five minute frequency. This is to accommodate a flyover that will increase frequencies by 30 seconds on the Bank to Lewisham line. The station is located on the DLR's Stratford branch, between Poplar and Langdon Park stations, and is in Travelcard Zone 2. There is a crossover south of the station which allows trains from Stratford and Poplar to reverse here.
Connections: London Buses routes 15, 115, D6, D7 and D8 and night routes N15, N550 and N551 serve the station.