Bow Church Platform

Bow Church Platform

Bow Church Entrance

Bow Church Entrance

Bow Church Platform

Bow Church Platform

 

Bow Church (as a chapel of ease) was licensed by Bishop Ralph Baldock of London on 17 November 1311 for the people of Bow and Old Ford within the parish of Stepney. Before this, local people were obliged to travel to St Dunstan's, Stepney, to attend church. This was a difficult journey - especially in winter - when the road was cut off by flooding. In the 14th century, they felt confident and wealthy enough to petition for their own place of worship. The chapel of ease allowed them to practise their religion locally, but they were still obliged to attend St Dunstan's at Stepney on religious holidays and to pay for its upkeep. In 1497, following a dispute about the terms of this arrangement, an agreement was then reached, whereby the people of Bow promised to acknowledge themselves as parishioners of Stepney and agreed to pay 24 shillings annually for repairs of the mother church, and to dispense with their attendance there, except on the feast of Saint Dunstan, and on the Wednesday in Whitsunweek, when they were to accompany the rest of the parishioners in procession to Saint Paul's Cathedral.

 

In 1556 at Bow, during the reign of Mary I of England, and under the authority of Edmund Bonner, Bishop of London, many people were brought by cart from Newgate and burned at the stake in front of Bow Church in one of the many swings of the English Reformation. These included the thirteen Stratford Martyrs. The station is located on the DLR's Stratford branch, between Devons Road and Pudding Mill Lane stations and is in Travelcard Zone 2. It is within 300 m walking distance of Bow Road station on London Underground's District and Hammersmith and City lines. Through ticketing is allowed between both stations. The DLR station opened with the original system on 31 August 1987.

 

Connections: London Buses routes 25, 205, 425 and D8, night route N205 and National Express Coaches route A9 serve the station.