Cutty Sark is a British clipper ship. Built on the Clyde in 1869 for the Jock Willis Shipping Line, she was one of the last tea clippers to be built and one of the fastest, coming at the end of a long period of design development which halted as sailing ships gave way to steam propulsion. The opening of the Suez Canal (also in 1869) meant that steam ships now enjoyed a much shorter route to China, so Cutty Sark spent only a few years on the tea trade before turning to the trade in wool from Australia, where she held the record time to Britain for ten years. Cutty Sark station opened on 3 December 1999 as part of a 4.2-kilometre (3 mi) extension of the DLR from its former southern terminus of Island Gardens to Lewisham. Since its opening, the extension has seen tremendous growth as a result of connecting the Isle of Dogs financial centre with Greenwich, along with two National Rail connections.
One of only three completely underground stations on the DLR network, Cutty Sark station utilises an island platform setup with two tracks. This is similar to its cross-river sister station, Island Gardens, but unlike Bank station, which is designed to resemble a deep-level London Underground station. Its platforms are too short for the three-car trains that run on the line, which means that the first two sets and last two sets of doors on each train do not open and customers in the front and back of the train need to move towards the centre to leave the train. This is announced on trains. On the DLR, Cutty Sark serves trains on two branches: Bank to Lewisham and Stratford to Lewisham. The former runs at frequencies of up to four minutes between trains, while the latter only runs during morning peak hours; at other times trains from Stratford terminate at Canary Wharf. Passengers bound for Tower Gateway, Beckton, or Woolwich Arsenal must change at Poplar or Westferry.
Connections: National Rail. London Buses routes 188 and 199 and night route N1 serve the station.