The first station, originally named Barking Road, was opened on 14 June 1847 by the Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway on the south side of Barking Road in the Parish of West Ham. It was renamed Canning Town on 1 July 1873, and in 1888, this station was closed, being replaced by a new station on the north side of Barking Road] (near Stephenson Street). On 29 October 1995, a new North London Line station on the current site was opened. Original DLR plans were that the Beckton line would run directly east/west between Blackwall and Royal Victoria, and the substantial loop to serve Canning Town was a late design change. The DLR station opened on 28 March 1994, but was closed between 6 June 1996 and 5 March 1998 for the construction of the Jubilee line extension. The Jubilee line station opened on 14 May 1999. The North London Line platforms closed on 9 December 2006 as part of the closure of the Stratford to North Woolwich section of the line. On 31 August 2011 these platforms re-opened on the new Stratford International branch of the Docklands Light Railway. On the station is a plaque commemorating the Thames Iron Works, which stood on this site.
NOTE: There are upper and lower platforms numbered 1 to 4 for the DLR, check which one you need to be on. The interchange is above ground, but access is by an underground concourse stretching the width of the site and connected to all platforms and the bus station by escalators, stairs and lifts. To the west of the complex two island platforms are one above the other. The lower platform is served by the Jubilee line (1 platform two faces) and the higher the DLR. To the east of the Jubilee platforms on the same level one platform (two faces) is served by the DLR. The DLR branch to London City Airport opened on 2 December 2005. This branch diverges from the branch to Beckton 1/4 mile south of the interchange, with trains from both branches serving the current platforms. The next station along the branch is West Silvertown. A substantial change to the DLR junction south of the station opened on 1 June 2009, when the Beckton branch was diverted onto a new flyover that crosses the eastbound Woolwich branch and the branch to Stratford International. As a result of these changes trains to Woolwich and Beckton can depart from either Upper or Lower.
Connections: Jubilee Line. London bus routes 5, 69, 115, 147, 241, 300, 309, 323, 330 and 474 and night routes N15, N550 and N551 serve the station.