Narrower than the other wharves of the West India Docks, Heron Quays (as it is now called) formerly separated the Export and South Docks. It was reconfigured on several occasions over the course of its working life – in response to the increasing size of cargo ships and to take advantage of technological innovations. There was a herring shed on the quayside from around 1840. Warehouses were later built between the parallel tracks of travelling cranes. Tarmac Brookglade Properties conceived the name Heron Quays in 1981, possibly as a more romantic version of Herring Quays. The station was originally opened on 31st August 1987.
It serves the southern part of the Canary Wharf office complex and is directly connected to that complex's Jubilee Place underground shopping centre. The station is elevated and contained within one of the complex's office towers. The station is in Travelcard Zone 2, and is on the Lewisham branch of the Docklands Light Railway. Originally open-air, the station was moved 200 metres south (to fit inside the new buildings) and a longer platform was built at this new site to accommodate three-unit trains planned as part of the DLR Capacity Enhancement; the station re-opened on 18 December 2002. The minimalis, modern design has resulted in a lack of good seating.
Connections: London Buses routes 135, D3 and D7 and night route N550 serve the station.