King George V Platform

King George V Platform

King George V Entrance

King George V Entrance

King George V Platform

King George V Platform

 

Begun in 1912 by the Port of London Authority, the King George V was the last of London's upstream enclosed docks to be built. After delay by the First World War, construction was completed in 1921. Although at 64 acres (26 ha) of water it was smaller than the other royals, it had its own entrance from the Thames through a lock and bascule bridge. The dock could berth liners as large as the RMS Mauretania. At its western end was a large graving dock (since filled in) and machine shop used for ship repairs by Harland and Wolff. It closed to commercial traffic along with the other Royal Docks in the 1980s. The station opened on 2 December 2005. Until January 2009, it served as a temporary terminus for the King George V branch of DLR but the line has since been extended under the River Thames to Woolwich Arsenal.

 

The station is located in Travelcard Zone 3. Station and on-train announcements refer to the station as 'King George the Fifth'. The station is at the northern end of Pier Road in North Woolwich, and is within walking distance of the Woolwich Ferry. Trains run every 10 minutes to Bank in the City of London, and with the same frequency to Woolwich Arsenal. Journey time is 9 minutes to Canning Town to interchange with the Beckton branch of the DLR, 14 minutes to Poplar to interchange with the Stratford and Lewisham branches of the DLR and 24 minutes to Bank in the City of London. In peak hours, this increases to every eight minutes, with an additional service to Stratford International station, providing a service every four minutes to Canning Town.

 

Connections: No buses connect to the station.