The station is on the original route of the Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway, which opened between Stratford and Canning Town in 1846. The line became part of what is now known as the North London Line in 1979. The Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway had four tracks over this section of route. The western pair were redeveloped as part of an extension to the London Underground's Jubilee line in 1999 and the eastern pair, which carried the North London Line, were cut back at Stratford in 2006. The tracks were converted for use as part of the Docklands Light Railway and the station was constructed with two platforms.
The station is an island platform under a footbridge. Some junction changes around Manor Road and Star Lane have been implemented with a small amount of land taken on the corner of Star Primary School. A new pedestrian crossing on Star Lane has been installed. The footbridge, known locally as "the peggy leggy steps", has been replaced. Star Lane DLR Station serves the Star Lane area in North Canning Town. It is located just north of the Canning Interchange which includes the bus station, Jubilee line, other DLR services and the road junction where the A13, A1011 and A124 all meet. Off-peak, trains run every ten minutes between Stratford International to the North and Beckton to the South. In the peak hours trains run every eight minutes between Stratford International and Woolwich Arsenal.
Connections: London Buses routes 276 and 323 serve the station.