The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway direct line from Bow to Barking was constructed east to west through the middle of the Parish of West Ham in 1858. Before this, trains took a longer route via Stratford and Forest Gate to the north. In November 1897 Arnold Hills, the owner of the Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company, whose football team Thames Ironworks FC (which reformed in 1900 as West Ham United) played at the Memorial Grounds, secured an agreement with the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway to build a station at Manor Road. The Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway was constructed north to south through West Ham, linking Stratford with Canning Town in 1846. Platforms were constructed on the line at West Ham in 1979 when the North London Line service, at the time known as the Crosstown Linkline, began between Camden Road and North Woolwich. In 1999 two further platforms were opened on the same alignment as part of the Jubilee line extension. At the same time the station buildings, ticket office and connecting passages were rebuilt, designed by van Heyningen and Haward Architects. The ticket hall is linked by a bridge to four rail lines and a main road as well as the Jubilee line platform and upper level concourse. Jubilee line services began on 14 May 1999. North London Line services at the station ceased on 9 December 2006, when the line from Stratford to North Woolwich was closed, to allow for the line to be converted for Docklands Light Railway operation. The platforms reopened on 31 August 2011.
The station consists of four sets of island platforms, two on an elevated east-west alignment and another perpendicular pair at street level, giving a total of eight platform faces. Platforms 1 and 2 are the northern upper pair, where all District and Hammersmith & City line services call. Platforms 3 and 4 are the eastern lower pair and are used by Docklands Light Railway trains. Platforms 5 and 6 are the western lower pair, where all Jubilee line services stop. Platforms 7 and 8 are the southern upper pair and are used by c2c trains. The main station building and connecting passageways are finished in a mixture of red brick, concrete and glass. To reach the Docklands Light Railway and Jubilee line platforms from the rest of the station a mezzanine level is accessed by escalators, lifts and stairs. On the DLR there are six trains an hour to Stratford International, and six to Woolwich Arsenal.
Connections: National Rail. Jubilee, District, Hammersmith + City Lines. London Buses route 276 serves the station.