The station was opened on 10 December 1932 by the Metropolitan Railway (MR) on the MR's extension from Wembley Park to Stanmore. The station was originally named Canons Park (Edgware) although the suffix was dropped the following year. On 20 November 1939, services on the Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo line and, on 1 May 1979, they were transferred again to the Jubilee line. "Canons" refers to the canons or monks of the Augustinian priory of St Bartholomew in Smithfield, London, who owned the manor of Stanmore before the Reformation. Canons Park is largely located on the site of Cannons, a magnificent early 18th-century country estate built between 1713–25, by James Brydges, 1st Duke of Chandos.
The station is in Travelcard Zone 5. It is also the least used station on the Jubilee line with an average of 1.68 million passengers per year. London Underground Limited announced in June 2007 that due to reduced demand for tickets bought from ticket offices (as opposed to from machines) around 40 of the most lightly used ticket offices at Tube stations will close from March 2008. The list of stations includes Canons Park and it duly closed. The station has cash machines, Euro cash machines, a waiting room, toilets and a car park.
Connections: London Bus routes 79, 186 and 340, and night route N98 serve the station.