Dollis Hill Platform

Dollis Hill Platform

Dollis Hill Entrance

Dollis Hill Entrance

Dollis Hill Platform

Dollis Hill Platform

 

The station opened on 1 October 1909 as part of the Metropolitan line, a late addition to the branch.From 20 November 1939 it was on the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line and was transferred to the Jubilee line in 1979. The Dollis Hill Estate was formed in the early 19th century, when the Finch family bought up a number of farms in the area to form a single estate. Dollis Hill House itself was built in the 1820s. It was later occupied by Lord Aberdeen who often had Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone to stay as a guest. In 1901, a new public park was created the 35 hectares (86 acres) Gladstone Park, named after the former Prime Minister. Between the park and the underground station, Edwardian terraced houses were built at this time on a grid with names starting with letters in alphabetical order (with some letters missing) from Aberdeen to Normanby. Medium-sized, semi-detached houses were built to the east of this area between 1927 and 1935. In World War I the tank design team responsible for the new Anglo-American or Liberty tank, Mark VIII was located here. The first railway in the area was the Dudding Hill Line, opened in 1875 by the Midland Railway to connect its Midland Main Line and Cricklewood goods yard in the east to other lines to the south-west. The Dudden Hill station on the line closed for passengers in 1902, but the line still carried freight. The code-breaking Colossus computer, used at Bletchley Park during the Second World War, was built at the Post Office Research Station in Dollis Hill by a team led by Tommy Flowers.

 

In 1995 four sets of enamel panels designed by Amanda Duncan were installed in the subway between the north and south exits. The panels show maps of the Dollis Hill area at different dates from the 16th to the 20th century, juxtaposed with interpretations of classical star maps. The station was refurbished in 2007 with the addition of new lighting, tiling and additional security cameras. The station was also repainted. The station has no surface buildings. The station has a waiting room and toilets.

 

Connections: London Bus routes 6, 52, 98, 226, 260, 266, 297, 302 and 460, and night route N98 serve the station. Furthermore, bus routes 6, 52, 266 and 297 has a 24-hour bus service.