Despite its name, it is not in the area historically known as North Greenwich, on the Isle of Dogs, north of the River Thames; an entirely different North Greenwich station used to be there, between 1872 and 1926. It is actually closer to Charlton than to Greenwich, however, it is at the northernmost tip of the Royal Borough of Greenwich, which perhaps provides the best explanation of the name. Greenwich was named by Danish settlers, Greenwich (Anglo-Saxon equivalent Grenewic) means the green place of cows on the bay (vig, wich) or near the mouth of a river (similarly, Schleswig, Sandwich). New England charters provided that the grantees should hold their lands "as of his Majesty’s manor of East Greenwich." This was in relation to the principle of land tenure under English law, that the ruling monarch (king or queen) was paramount lord of all the soil in the terra regis, while all others held their lands, directly or indirectly, under the monarch. Land outside the physical boundaries of England, as in America, was treated as belonging constructively to one of the existing royal manors, and from Tudor times grants frequently used the name of the manor of East Greenwich.
Opened on 14 May 1999, North Greenwich is one of the largest stations on the Jubilee line, capable of handling around 20,000 passengers an hour, having been designed to cope with the large number of visitors expected at the Millennium Dome (now The O2). The track at North Greenwich was designed to facilitate a branch of the line from this station. The track layout allows trains from both Stanmore and Stratford to terminate at North Greenwich. A number of trains from Stanmore terminate here during peak and off-peak times, and enter platform 2 instead of the usual platform 3. Trains head back towards central London from platform 2. During times of disruption and engineering work, trains from and back to Stratford can be routed into and out of platform 2. The striking blue-tiled and glazed interior, with raking concrete columns rearing up inside the huge underground space, was designed by the architectural practice Alsop, Lyall and Störmer. As with other stations on the Jubilee Line Extension, all platforms are equipped with platform screen doors. The station has wi-fi, payphones, toilets, help points, cash machines, Euro cash machines, escalators, lifts and a car park.
Connections: The Emirates Air Line cable car opened nearby on 28 June 2012, providing a link between the Greenwich Peninsula and the Royal Victoria Dock and ExCeL London. The North Greenwich bus station is situated next to the tube station, with London Buses routes 108, 129, 132, 161, 188, 422, 472 and 486 serving the station.