Stanmore station was opened on 10 December 1932 by the Metropolitan Railway (now the Metropolitan line). The station building and those on the branch were designed by the Metropolitan Railway's architect, Charles W. Clarke, in the suburban style used on the company's other post First World War stations such as those on the Watford branch. In 1934, a proposal to extend the Metropolitan line northwards was discussed by the London Passenger Transport Board's Engineering Committee as an alternative or complementary scheme to the extension of the Northern line from Edgware. It would have required 1.2 miles of double track tunnel to reach the proposed station at Elstree South with Metropolitan line trains continuing to Bushey or Aldenham. A revision of the proposal in 1936, considered extending the Stanmore line to Elstree. The proposals were not included in the plans eventually submitted for parliamentary approval in the LPTB's New Works Programme. Following construction of deep-level tube tunnels between Finchley Road and Baker Street, the branch and most stopping services between Finchley Road and Wembley Park were transferred to the Bakerloo line on 29 November 1939. The Bakerloo line service was transferred to the Jubilee line on 1 May 1979.
The station is on the south side of London Road, part of the A410 and is in Travelcard Zone 5. In 2005, Transport for London began the construction of a third platform at the station. While this was structurally complete as of summer 2009 it could not be opened until new signalling equipment on that part of the line was brought into use. This delayed the opening of the platform until July 2011. The station has toilets, a car park, boarding ramps, payphones, a waiting room and ASDA click and collect.
Connections: London Buses routes 142, 324 and H12 and night route N98 and non TFL route Uno Buses 615 serve the station.