Waterloo Concourse

Waterloo Concourse

Waterloo Entrance

Waterloo Entrance

Waterloo Platform

Waterloo Platform

 

The area was marshland towards the northern tip of the ancient parish of Lambeth. It was known as Lambeth Marshe, but was drained in the 18th century and is remembered in the Lower Marsh street name. Waterloo is connected to the Strand area on the north bank of the River Thames by Waterloo Bridge. The first bridge on the site was opened in 1817 and the current bridge was opened in 1945. The bridge was named to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. Waterloo Road also dates from this time, built on land belonging to the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Church of St John the Evangelist, Waterloo Road was constructed from 1822 by the Commissioners for Building New Churches as the population of the parish of Lambeth had significantly increased. After the opening of Waterloo railway station in 1848 the locality around the station and Lower Marsh became known as Waterloo.

 

The first Underground station at Waterloo was opened on 8 August 1898 by the Waterloo & City Railway (W&CR), a subsidiary of the owners of the main line station, the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR). The W&CR, nicknamed "The Drain", achieved in a limited way the L&SWR's original plan of taking its tracks the short distance north-east into the City of London. On 24 September 1999, the Jubilee line station was opened as part of the Jubilee Line Extension. The station was temporarily the western terminus of the extension running from Stratford in east London, before the final section to link the extension to the original line was opened between Waterloo and Green Park on 20 November 1999. The Jubilee line platforms are at the opposite end of the site from those of the Bakerloo and Northern lines, but the two ends are connected by a 140-metre (460 ft) moving walkway link. The station is in London fare zone 1. The station has cash machines, payphones, wifi, escalators, and lifts.

 

Connections: Bakerloo, Northern, Waterloo and City Line. National Rail. The station is served by London Buses routes 1, 4, 26, 59, 68, 76, 77, 139, 168, 171, 172, 176, 188, 211, 243, 341, 381, 507, 521, RV1 and X68 and night routes N1, N68, N76, N171, N20, N343 and N381.