The Metropolitan Railway (Harrow and Uxbridge Railway) constructed the line between Harrow on the Hill and Uxbridge, opened on 4 July 1904 with an intermediate station at Ruislip. At first services were operated by steam trains, but electrification was completed on 1 January 1905. Development in north Middlesex over the next two decades led to the opening of additional stations to encourage the growth of new residential areas. Hillingdon was the last of these to open, on 10 December 1923, with Metropolitan and District lines services. On 23 October 1933 the District line service was replaced by the Piccadilly line. Between the mid-1930s and the mid-1950s the station was named Hillingdon (Swakeleys). The name Hillingdon appears in the Domesday Book (1086) as Hillendone, possibly meaning "hill of a man named Hille".
The church of St John the Baptist stands at the top of Hillingdon Hill, at its junction with Royal Lane. It was built in 1629, replacing an earlier building deemed to have become unsafe. In 1846, the architect George Gilbert Scott was asked to design an extension, after the increasing population meant the church was becoming too cramped. The station is on the Uxbridge branch of the Metropolitan and Piccadilly lines, between Ickenham and Uxbridge in Travelcard Zone 6. The station was demolished to enable the rerouting of the A40 (Western Avenue) through the site. A new station opened to the south on December 6, 1992, and received the 1994 Underground Station of the Year award. The station was identified in July 2011 as one of the London Borough of Hillingdon's locally listed buildings. The station has a car park and is accessible for those with disabilities without using stairs or escalators. It is staffed but had its ticket office closed in July 2015. The station has a plethora of assistance including cash machines, Euro cash machines, a waiting room, car park, boarding ramps, toilets, lifts and escalators.
Connections: Piccadilly. London Buses route U2 and Oxford Tube X90 serve the station.