Northwood was first recorded in 1435 as Northwode, formed from the Old English 'north' and 'wode', meaning 'the northern wood', in relation to Ruislip. In 1086 in the Domesday Book the Northwood-embracing parish of Ruislip had immense woodland, sufficient to support one parish with 1,500 pigs per year, and a park for wild beasts (parcus ferarum). Northwood had a manorial grange in 1248, which may have occupied the site of the later Northwood Grange. The monks of the Bec Abbey who lived at Manor Farm in Ruislip in the 11th century owned this grange. Northwood,elevated and separated from the rest of the parish by a belt of woodland, took until the 19th century to form a village — 350 acres (140 ha) in the manor of St. Catherine's were enclosed under the first Middlesex Inclosure Act in 1769. By 1881, the population of Northwood had reached 257, with 62 houses recorded from 41 people in 1841.
David Carnegie owned the large Eastbury Park Estate in the north of the area in 1881. In 1887, the Metropolitan Railway was extended from Harrow-on-the-Hill to Rickmansworth. The station opened on 13 November 1933. There was a competition for the name and Northwood Hills, suggested by a woman from North Harrow was the winning entry. The area is lower than Northwood, despite the name. 'Fast' trains do not stop at stations between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Moor Park. The station has toilets, help points, payphones and a waiting room.
Connections: London Buses routes 282, H11 and H13 serve the station.