A land survey of Northwood conducted in 1565 by King's College, Cambridge, the new lords of the manor of Ruislip, recorded ten houses and several farms. By 1881, the population of Northwood had reached 257, with 62 houses recorded from 41 people in 1841. David Carnegie owned the large Eastbury Park Estate in the north of the area in 1881. In 1887, the Metropolitan Railway was extended from Harrow-on-the-Hill to Rickmansworth and Carnegie sold his land to Frank Carew for development for £59,422. Northwood station opened in August that year. Carew stipulated the prices for the new housing he had built, with the cottages along the west side of the High Street priced at £120. The High Street itself had been a track leading on from Rickmansworth Road to Gate Hill Farm. The first shops opened in 1895 on the east side of the road, and included a hairdresser, butchers and a fishmongers. By 1902, the population had reached 2,500 in 500 houses and running 36 shops.
The station was opened on 1 September 1887 on the Metropolitan Railway's extension from the previous terminus at Pinner, en route to Rickmansworth. The two platforms are on the slow lines. There are no platforms on the fast lines because fast services do not stop at this station. Since it is not served by fast services, one should take a fast service to Moor Park and change to a southbound all stations or semi-fast train to Baker Street or Aldgate.The station was rebuilt in the late 1950s and early 1960s to include platforms on the newly quadrupled Watford slow lines rather than the Amersham fast lines. The station has toilets, help points, a car park, payphones and a waiting room.
Connections: London Buses routes 282, 331 and H11 and Non TFL route LSP route 8 serve the station.